Our Areas of Expertise
Our team of experts and specialists successfully deliver economic and management consulting services worldwide. We work together with the private sector because, when shaped by appropriate policies and institutions, it is the key to growth and to the sustainable reduction of poverty. By supporting innovation to make market systems work more effectively and sustainably for the poor, we aim to maximise the impact of our programmes on poverty reduction and provide real and sustainable choices and opportunities for improving livelihoods.
We specialise in three major spheres: private sector development; agriculture and rural livelihoods; and financial sector development.
Private Sector Development
We are experts in designing and implementing private sector development interventions. We have been instrumental in developing the markets for the poor (M4P) approach, and we continue to apply market systems approaches throughout our portfolio of projects. We undertake diagnostic and policy work, implement effective market development programmes and provide monitoring and evaluation services.
Our services include the design and implementation of:
- Long term, multi-component private sector development (PSD) programmes
- Private sector development policies and strategies for donors and governments, including reforms to the investment environment, industrial policies and competitiveness
- Innovative financing instruments to support the private sector in delivering development outcomes
- Trade policy, export strategies and investment promotion.
- Entrepreneurship and job creation strategies.
- Value chains and cluster competitiveness.
Agriculture and Rural Livelihoods
At Nathan Associates, we understand how agriculture can lead to sustainable development through rural transformation. With our extensive knowledge of private sector development and market systems approaches, we are leaders in designing and delivering transformational agricultural interventions, using the power of business to develop agriculture through responsible and equitable business models and thus bring about sustainable, systemic change.
Our services include:
- Programme design for the agricultural sector;
- Research and analysis of the sector and its markets;
- Implementation of agribusiness, value chain, and market development initiatives
- Design and implementation of monitoring and results measurement frameworks for programmes;
Financial Sector Development
Our wide-ranging experience working in developing countries on every continent has given us a comprehensive understanding of the critical issues involved in policy contexts, legislative and regulatory frameworks, market infrastructures and product innovation, all of which are essential for the financial sector to play its role in delivering inclusive growth.
Our services include:
- Designing policies to increase financial deepening and improve access to financial services for the poor.
- Strengthening legal, regulatory and supervisory frameworks.
- Developing financial infrastructures at national level, including stock markets, credit bureaux, settlement systems and public registries.
- Supporting product innovation to deepen financial markets including commercial micro finance, leasing and partial credit guarantee schemes.